View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I agree with everyone here, but...

I'm not usually on the side of leniency, and fudging, but...

If it were me in Ref Daddy's place (new partner granting TO when coach doesn't want it and team doesn't have it), I think how I'd handle it would depend on other things such as the level of play (8th grade? JV?) and how fast I could get in and "fix" it. If it had been 8th grade, or even a lower level JV team, I'd have summed the whole thing up as quickly as possible, called an inadvertant whistle and gotten the ball back in play. If it's the varsity game between cross-town rivals, and the winner goes to state, tough. But then, we're not going to have a new ref, nor a coach that signals T for a desired technical. In 8th grade girls, the coach is brand new, and during the unexpected time-out, he's not gaining any advantage. He's screaming that he didn't want a time-out. In fact, he's losing the advantage of setting up defense against a team that was slow to get the ball back up the floor. I know that the theory of advantage/disadvantage doesnt necessarily apply in this case, but sheez, it seems a little harsh to stick it to him if he's just an oaf and not a complete jerk.