View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
Lets look at it from a defensive standpoint. You just created a DISADVANTAGE for the defense by allowing the violation (good defense possibly in this case) to go uncalled and allowed the offense an easy lay-up...
The defense created its own disadvantage by kicking the at the ball and trying to create an advantage for itself, it backfired and gave the offense the advantage. Kinda like a flop when trying to draw a charge, you could call a block (or a T for that matter) but all the player did was take him/herself out of the play and gave an advantage to the offense.
Great point as I love employing the advantage/disadvantage aspect to the game. However ultimately I agree w/ Mick, we have to call this to make it go away or otherwise players start to play "kick defense" out there and someone is going to get hurt. I am thinking explaining advantage/disadvantage to a coach who's star pointguard who just got kicked in the hand might be a tough sell especially when any intentional striking is suposed to be called a kick. (I think most howlers know that?!?)