View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 07, 2000, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

JRut

The question was not one of a specific obligation, which I believe that HoopsrefBC addressed by saying to deal with your assigner as much as possible in advance if you have a conflict. The question posed was one of the level of games, and asking for only a certain level.

In our area, HS refs do everything from HS Varsity down to recreational middle school. The assigners appear to have a pretty good sense of the level of the ref. The more experienced refs do very few games in the younger age groups. The refs we generally get in those age groups are either less experienced or less able to run with the faster paced games. But I have had the pleasure from time to time of having some of the better HS refs do our middle school select league games. They have always brought their best to these games and ref them with the same intensity they bring to HS varsity games. As a coach, I appreciate the fact that they are up for our games and I think that our players benefit from playing in games with these officials.

That said, I understand that the schedule can probably be pretty demanding. We have a proliferation of youth sport leagues and I imagine many of you feel the pinch.