View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Coach on the court

Had this happen to me over the holiday's in a girls JV game:

Late in the second half with the visiting team getting beat pretty bad (35+ running clock in effect), a girl from said visiting team runs in and jumps for a rebound, but collides with her teammate and lands hard on her backside. She starts screaming and crying in pain. Home team gets the rebound, but before they continue up court, I blow the whistle to stop play because of the injury. But before I have a second to look up, visiting coach is running from the bench across the court in a panic. "Are you OK Sara????!!!!!" he say's. Girl slowly gets up, drys her tears and the whole gym claps for her as she is replaced with a sub.

We play the final five minutes, no problems, but then my partner asks me as we are walking to the locker room why I didn't give the visiting coach a T for coming onto the floor without beckoning him? Actually, at the time, I don't think it even crossed my mind to give the coach a T. But my reply to my partner was "game management" and "team was down by 35, why T him up and make it worse." My partner didn't really like the answer, stating our job is to enforce the rules of the game, all the rules, not just the ones we liked or felt managed the game to our liking.

I'm not the arguing type, but I told him, "well if you felt so strongly about what happened why didn't you call the T?" I don't think he liked that answer either

Anyway, my question is did I do the right thing? Looking at the rules book, I found 10-4 and the note it makes under art. 5. Anywhere else I should be looking in the book?

I still feel this was a good case of game management, but would like to hear other opinions on the matter.