View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I believe that once something is taken to the table, that is that.
Unless of course, you report the correct info & the table takes it down wrong. That would be a bookkeeping error.

An official reporting a player technical that is really a team technical is an officials error & not a correctable one... by rule.

If we follow procedures, we minimize the chance of officials errors in those situations. IJS
tref,

I'm not really singling out your post. It only looks like I am.

I don't buy that "once something is taken to the table, that is that". Every one of us has goofed up and reported a foul on White 32 when it was actually committed by White 23. Normally within a couple of seconds the scorekeeper or coach brings it to our attention. When that happens, do we stick to our guns? Even if there isn't a White 32? Of course not. We figure out who actually committed the foul, and report it correctly. And if it's two plays later before the mistake is recognized, we still correct it, if we're able to.

Why?

Because we made the right call; we just screwed up the reporting. Whether the scorekeeper incorrectly records what the official correctly reported, or the official incorrectly reports what he correctly called, a mistake in "record[ing] the personal and technical fouls" is a bookkeeping mistake. And a bookkeeping mistake can be corrected any time until the referee approves the final score. Assuming, of course, you have the correct information.

The OP, of course, is quite a different situation. But I am unconvinced that "by rule" it cannot be corrected. I simply cannot find any rule that says that if it is discovered that a player has erroneously been disqualified, that he shall remain disqualified. However, I find a compelling parallel in the opposite case: a player who has erroneously been allowed to remain in the game after committing his fifth foul. There is no window of opportunity for fixing this. When discovered, you simply remove the player from the game. No attempt is made to undo any result of his having remained in the game. To me, that is a much more relevant rule to extrapolate from than the awarding of a throw-in to the wrong team.

I'm with Nevada on this. When you realize the player was erroneously disqualified, let him back in the game. You were wrong once. Do you really need to continue being wrong?