View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I saw that Karloff mechanic more than once at the UMaine/Boston U. game yesterday. To say such mechanics are discouraged by our organization would be an understatement. (When in Rome, I guess.)

Anyway, if you really want to get down to linguistics, Snaq, there are reasons why those two examples wouldn't work. "Umpire" is more of a semantics thing, I suppose, but it's more than about simply making a change to reflect common usage. That common usage would have to be literally accurate, as well.
The NFHS actually did change their volleyball officials' designations a couple years ago, from referee and umpire to R1 and R2. But, in that case, it actually made sense. More widely used rules sets have long called them R1 and R2. The two officials have distinct responsibilities and the R1 has clear authority to overrule all other officials. The distinction is widely acknowledged in common usage, with the two officials often being called the "up official" and "down official".

But, in basketball there is only one common usage, and that's "Ref". The distinction between referee and umpire is minor and of no consequence to anyone except officials and assignors. The current designations are traditional and are consistent between rules sets.

It just ain't broke...