View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
It is unfortunate that some leagues are pushing a certain "look" for officials, and associate certain characteristics (especially height and build) with the "presence" we all try to attain. It's a superficial extension of our society's pre-occupation with appearance (but that's another discussion). Officials should do their best to look presentable, maintain a decent weight and be in shape, but otherwise looks should be way down the list.

One of the best officials I know is only about 5'7". But he is confident, has a great voice, excellent demeanor, and laser-sharp mechanics/signals. And he calls a great game. That's what it's all about.

There's an NBA ref, don't know his name, older guy, bald, with an athletic but modest build. And he doesn't look that tall compared to the other refs. But whenever the big games come around, he is there. He always seems to work a game or two in the finals. They mic'd him up one game for TV and it was very instructive, watching and listening to the respect he commanded from everyone.

BTW, I'm 6'0" (about 1.82m)
I would like to get a copy of that transcript. Do you have an idea where I could find one?

My two sense!