View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 04:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink I did not interpret it that way.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I have never heard of this before. So, I went and looked it up in the Officials Manual. I can only find two relevant statements.
302. (page 47) All officials should maintain the semblance of a wide triangle coverage of the court and fundamentally they should be moving into the proper positions each time there is a change in possession of the ball (but should never turn their backs to the ball). The Center or Trail official, who has a five-second closely-guarded count in the frontcourt, must step onto the court and go with the dribbler even toward the other side official's area of responsibility, showing that he/she still has the initial count and that the offensive player is still closely-guarded.

Diagram 28 (page 50) Each official has an area of primary coverage for fouls and violations on and off the ball in that area. When ball is not in primary area, take all players in your area. Dual coverage is indicated. Officials must always be aware of location of ball, players and other officials.
(BTW, who wrote that caption? Take a grammar course, please!)

The first could certainly be understood to say that the Lead is not to have a closely-guarded count. However, the second would imply that he does.
I guess you should follow what your assignor says. I am grateful to the board for teaching me something new today!
It clearly says that the C and the T have the five second count. Just because they say in the next caption, does not mean that you would have 5 seconds just because they said the officials have all violations and fouls in their primary. In other words, they have everything else. But as Tony said, the Lead cannot have a five second count and follow that count all the way to the division line. That just does not make any sense. The Lead's area is designated for low post and paint coverage. It is not designed for coverage all over the court or extended coverage like two person has.

Peace