View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 11:08pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

New NFHS Mechanic?

at tonight's CYO JV (Grade 4-6) B bracket game, the officials had the teams start off going the wrong way. (No big deal, you just correct the direction at the first chance you get and move on from there). At a time out in the first quarter, I asked the official if the teams were going the wrong way and he realizes the mistake. We were supposed to have a front court throw in after the time out and when it looked like they were going to have it in the back court, I asked if the throw in was in the front court and the offical made an L with his fingers and asked if I knew what that meant? Knowing it wasn't an NFHS-approved singal and fearing I might be baited, I chose not to answer. Even the host school's table crew had no idea what he was trying to convey.

Of course later in the game, the opposing coach requested and was granted a time out. After relaying some instructions to her team she asked whose ball it was. When she found out her team wasn't getting the ball (one of her players commited a violation prior to the time out), she said she didn't want the time out and the same official then rescinded the timeout.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball