View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
I'm talking two person crew... some of the previous posts suggest that in two person that lead does not have a five second count...
Not true. The entire post deals with 3 man mechanics.

Quote:
I dont do any three NF or NCAA around here but to not have the lead who may be closest to the play not counting is ridiculous. Even the NBA in the 5 second backdown rule has lead count.
Kelvin, the powers that be disagree with you. I've worked 3 man since 1989 and I've never seen/heard of the lead counting closely guarded.

Let me put it this way. What happens when the dribbler starts in the lead's primary and then dribbles out front, above the top of the key? Is the lead suppose to leave the baseline and follow him? Of couse not. But that's what's required of the T and C. Once they start a count, they have to follow the player until the count ends.

It's not difficult for the T to count as well as look through the play and see what's happening? There are two sets of eyes on the area. We're talking about a very small area where the T wouldn't ordinarily be officiating anyway. We're only talking about the area below the imaginary diagonal line that extends from the middle of the third FT space to the corner, inside the 3 pt. arc.

It's not that difficult to do.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith