View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 06:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
What?

Did I miss something?
Trail has the 5 second count when lead has the ball in his primary??? I can see that now ball is outside the arc on lead's side closely guarded and the trail is making a 5 second count....

If trail is counting who is watching off ball? like right in the middle of the paint when the ball is out wide.

The ball is on myside of the paint and the guy is dribbling around. near the baseline. I am watching for pushes, hits on the arms, blocking, etc but not closely guarded? Naw dont think so... I am the one watching the ball and not the low post players at that point.

I am not going to ever try and explain to a coach that I had the five second count in front of my partner as trail. particularly when they have big guys in there. I dont have that much stock in ATT, QWEST, and MCI

There is not anything in the rules or officials manual that backs this up.

3 Person is designed to have two officials watching the ball in most cases. If the ball is in the post (where the Lead's primary is) that is where most of the players are going to be and the action. The Center position is designed for off-ball coverage and backside help on calls that the Lead and Trail might miss. Only the C and the T have a five second count in HS mechanics. Women's CCA Mechanics is a little bit different, but they also have an entirely different coverage area. So things are going to be different if you are doing an NCAA game. But in NF and NCAA Men's games, the lead never has a count. The Lead has a very small area, and if the ball is in the post in the Lead's primary, chances are that it started in the Trail's area to begin with.

Just the way it is.

Peace