View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 03:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just because he is the exception does not mean that it cannot be done. I think we do a disservice to younger officials by telling wait until so many years before you move up. The evaluators are not telling officials that for the most part. You are going to be judged on much more than years of experience. You will be judged on your appearance (weight, uniform) and Mechanics and the way you control a game. These are just as much of a factor as how long you have been officiating. Teddy Valentine did his first D1 basketball game before he did his first varsity game. Now tell me he was not qualified. Some are just more gifted than others. Just cause you have been officiating for 10 years does not mean that you are more experienced than someone that has officiated for 4 years. That official might have more experience at the higher levels than someone that has been officiating for 10 years. What if you only do 20 games a year and have officiated for 10 years. While the 4 year official does 60 games a year. Now, who has the most experience? There is nothing wrong with putting your expectations high, the higher the expectations, the better you might do. But that is just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by bsilliman
Just my point. Your friend is an exception working D1 with only 5-6 years of experience; and I congratulate him for that.
However, for most people attendance at camps in the first 10 years of officiating is to learn, not be seen by D1 schedulers.
Hope this clarifys my point.
Have a great season.