View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Later that game, we have a situation where R1 is on 2nd, and B2 hits a ground ball to F6. F6 fields the ground ball, and throws wild to F3, and the ball ends up going into dead ball territory. I signal and call dead ball and start giving the bases awarded. I point to B2 (who is standing on 2nd) and say 'your, award is 2nd'. I then point to R1 (who is standing on 3rd) and say 'your award is home'.

'That' partner comes out of the holding area and says 'no, she stays at third''

Now this is a 'college look' and as a rule, things are a little bit more low key, so i say 'You are not awarding two bases from the point of release?'. he answers with 'No, she stays at third and I am the plate umpire'.

While i wanted to 'get it right', I did not want to waste anymore time and the offensive coach just said 'if thats what you think, she will stay at third' (after the inning, the OC said he didn't want to waste anymore time either, and that this weekend was about getting his girls at-bats anyway)

after all this, my question is. when you are working with 'that' kind of partner, what are some ideas in handling situations where you don't agree with a rule interpretation? I understand if it is Championship play, there will be UIC's on site and such to confer with, but when that is not available, what are some ideas?

I'll hang up and listen.
How about a quick, private question/comment to "your partner" about why isn't it 2 from TOT. Then if s/he doesn't get it and OC is OK, let it go as you did.