View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
We are required by the Kentucky HSAA to read what is known as the "green" card which simply makes a couple of comments about sportsmanship. I also like to try and add a "human" touch just to let the kids and coaches know that we are here to help them play a game safely and fairly. I have gotten some good ideas from this board before but here are some I have used this year:

1. To Team A: Do you feel your team is the best in gym?
Reply from Team A: YES
To Team B: Do you feel your team is the best in gym?
Reply from Team B: Yes
My Reply: That's great because tonight you have the best two officials in this gym on the floor with you and we are going to give you our best. Let's have a great game.
(This usually even draws a smile from the coaches!)

2. My partner hasn't called a "T" all year and his girl friend is here watching him tonight. Please don't give him a chance to show off!

3. To captains of the female gender:

The KHSAA requires that your teams play with good sportswomansip! (Usually after a couple of seconds, they realize what was said and grin their approval)

4. Guess what folks; my partner and I absolutely do not care who wins this game. We are just here to do our job which is to enforce the rules of basketball. Let us do our job and you focus on playing and coaching...good luck!

I would love to hear some other ideas as well.