View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp View Post
Besides New York, are there any other states that use ASA rules for High School softball?

It sounds like a majority of states use NFHS.
Rumor has it that New York may switch over to Fed rules within the next couple of years.
Personally, I would like to continue using ASA rules for HS softball in NY.
Just curious of the high school usage of NFHS vs ASA.
Zepp - that rumor has been floating around for YEARS... the NYSPHSAA has always wanted to have all NYS sports be NFHS, but both softball and volleyball (which uses NCAA rules instead of NFHS) have been very resistant to the change. Volleyball has been especially resistant, because the Fed rules there are a HUGE difference from what kids get when to go to college level.

As far as softball is concerned, the scuttlebutt is that Jay Miner is part of the resistance - for those who don't know, Jay Miner is the NYS rules interpreter, and he gives a lot of minor ( no pun intended! ) tweaks to our mechanics which are outside the 'normal' ASA mechanics, and prob VERY different from Fed mechanics.

Where in NY you from Zepp? I am down in section 9..

The one rumor that I have been hearing from our reps, one of which is a NYSSO school instructor, is that NY will finally be going to the gray slacks this year...perhaps grandfathering the navy blue for a year or two with local option, but definitely going gray for State tournaments and such....

The question I would have is what would be the advantages of going the Fed route?