View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 12:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Timeout with 2:43 left in the 4th qtr. I administer and look to make sure the clock starts properly . It does.

Ball is walked down the floor and subsequently there is a foul by B1 on the shooter. While reporting the foul the power goes out for a a few seconds. Whole building goes black. When it comes back on the game clock has reset to it's default of 8:00 and no score.

What are my options for the "definite knowledge?" If I ask the clock operator and he says the last time he saw was 2:35 can I put the clock back to that? Can I ask the official scorekeeper what the last time he/she saw?

In my game no one had any idea so I put it back to 2:43. Correct move?
(A) is = 2:43 - BC count - any FC closely guarded counts. That's likely that only definite knowledge that you can use.

If what you have in (A) is near the 2:35 mark, then I most definitely would trust the timer's judgment, unless you have a lower reading.

Definitely DO NOT go back to 2:43. That's saying that no time expired. Your credibility is in question if you do that.

I've been known to "erroneously have a closely guarded count" when I've been weary of a timer's duties in crucial situations.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 12:37pm.