Thread: First elbow
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 03:01pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
This was a D3 game and the NCAA virtually mandates that any elbow contact above the shoulder WILL get called AT LEAST an INT, possible flagrant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlingrocks View Post
That 1st statement is not true. What the new rule pertains to is enforcement of the penalty associated with what we, as officials, already deem a foul. What constitutes a foul has not changed. If you would have called a foul on that play last year then yes, the least you have is an intentional foul, however this new rule doesn't change what a foul is.
My understanding is that if the elbow is moving, it's a foul. A moving elbow that contacts the neck or head of an opponent is NOT incidental.

You mention contact that would have been a foul last year, but I don't think that's correct, to be honest. I think the problem is that there was too much elbow contact that was not being called a foul in previous years. Officials took the attitude, "Well, if you don't want to get hit, then you shouldn't have had your head in there." The rule change doesn't allow us to do that anymore. JMHO.