Thread: First elbow
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 04:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, but why was this not considered a 'basketball move'? If the player pivoted and the elbows went with the rest of the body, it sounds like a good play.
We have been stressed to differentiate between basketball and non basketball moves. THe direction we have been given is that if the player moves the elbows with the waist/torso, then we go with INT/FLAG. If they move with the body as part of a pivot, then we have incidental. But that is the difficult thing, IMO, about this call.
As for moving to the HS level, I will say YES, and soon. NFHS is more law suit conscious than the NCAA.
If the elbows are up and out (basically level with the ball) and catch someone in the face, I'm going to have a foul almost every time....maybe not intentional, but a foul. The only reason they're up that is to threaten, if not make, contact. If they're not up and out but more below the ball in a more natural position, I'd be more inclined to go with incidental if they're moving with the body.