Thread: First elbow
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 12:16am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, but why was this not considered a 'basketball move'? If the player pivoted and the elbows went with the rest of the body, it sounds like a good play.
We have been stressed to differentiate between basketball and non basketball moves. THe direction we have been given is that if the player moves the elbows with the waist/torso, then we go with INT/FLAG. If they move with the body as part of a pivot, then we have incidental. But that is the difficult thing, IMO, about this call.
As for moving to the HS level, I will say YES, and soon. NFHS is more law suit conscious than the NCAA.
This was a D3 game and the NCAA virtually mandates that any elbow contact above the shoulder WILL get called AT LEAST an INT, possible flagrant.
At the FED level, there are provisions for calling a violation for excessive elbows without contact. With contact, I think we are still expected to use our judgement as to the call. Never saw anything from FED that makes this call an 'absolute' as in NCAA.
There is also a distinction in Fed rules as to the difference between 'swinging elbows' and a full body pivot which includes the elbows. I've seen many a defender stick his face into a pivoting ballhandler and get a bloody snoot and a well deserved foul. Not necessarily incidental in this case, could be PC, INT, incidental, or flagrant based on judgement, not automatic.
9-13 pg 57
4-24-8 pg 33