Thread: Multiple Fouls?
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 04:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

You are partially correct when you talk about multiple fouls. What you really had was a false multiple foul. You were also correct in charging both fouls as intentional fouls even if B1's foul would have been a common foul under normal circumstances. Since Team B Captain told you that they intended to commit a foul, then the foul by B1 must be considered an intentional foul.
It not what they say they are going to do, it's what they do. I never call it intentional because they infrom me. For all I know, they changed their mind and went for the ball but still got a little arm.

If we based it on what they said, we would have to call an intentional foul is they tried to foul but missed.

The definition of intentional foul is the same in both the NFHS and NCAA rules books. Using the NFHS rules reference:

NFHS R4-S19-A3: An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, to neutralize an opponent's obvious advantageous position, contact away from the ball or when not playing the ball. It may or may not be premeditated and is not based on the severity of the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent.

When a player tells me that he is going to commit a foul and then immediately fouls his opponent, his act is a classic example of a premeditated act. The foul on the ball in the original situation is an intentional foul. To not treat it as an intentional foul deprives Team A's opponent of two free throws and possesion of the ball for a throw-in which they are entitled by the rules.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio