View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 08:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
In the original post, bainsey said that B2 fouled A1. Note...he unambiguously said that B2 fouled A1. He didn't say that there might have been a possibility of incidental contact. He stated that B2 definitely fouled A1.
When you say someone is fouled, that is completely a judgment. It is not necessarily a fact or something that people will not disagree with. I know I have called a foul that when seen on tape or even immediately after I blow the whistle I may just disagree with. So when you say someone is fouled, it is your judgment on the play, not something that cannot be disputed.

Quote:
Put me down for not having good judgment then, because I ain't lying when I say that if B2 fouls A1, every official in the world should call the damn foul imo. The contact may have been marginal but the contact was definitely illegal, not incidental. Bainsey flat out told us that.
I take his comments as much more of a philosophical question, not a stated fact. If I do not call a foul, it is not a foul as it relates to the game. If it should be a foul or not is up to those observing the contest being officiated.

Quote:
You'd really allow a defender to gain an advantage through a foul? I can see waiting to see if the contact actually gave the defender an advantage or not, and ignoring the contact if you felt that there was no advantage gained. But when we are told that there was absolutely no doubt that an advantage was gained?

Lah me......we just ain't gonna agree on that one.

I did not say I would pass on a foul that I clearly think is a foul. I said that I judge contact based on a lot of factors. I will put it in another context. There is a lot of contact on rebounds in many aspects of the game. I know that I judge the contact on those plays based on what happened to the player and the result of the play. Unless the play is not rough or not basketball related, I will factor in things like did the player end up with the ball? Did the player keep his balance? What other types of contact did we allow to take place in that game? If I can do that in that situation, why are the shots result totally off limits. And yes, the rebounding foul philosophy is taught at many camps and by many officials to judge if advantage or disadvantage took place. So yes we will just have to disagree on this, because I always consider the result. Even in the NCAA's usage of absolutes are not in the rulebook, but a guideline used to call a foul. And the result of the play is often the reason for the absolute to determine a foul.

Peace