View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 12:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down What?

Can I ask what you are talking about? You lost me on this one? If you go to a D1 camp, you think that they are there to learn, bull####. They are there to get an opportunity to get hired. Yes, you can learn some things, but camps like that are not for just learning, they are job interviews. Now I have a few D1 officials tell me that. And if you go and do not do a good job, the evaluators will keep that in mind. So my point is, if you go to a camp of that caliber, you best be prepared for reality, and the reality is that you might not be as good as you think you are.

BTW, the officials that made that statement, has only been officiating as long as I have 5 or 6 years. And he is a D1 official. Listening to your logic, he should not even be on the court. Something to think about.

Quote:
Originally posted by bsilliman
That is the problem with young referees today. They expect to move up too quickly without obtaining adequate training and experience at lower level games.
Once-upon-a-time camps were for learning new techniques from experienced college level instructors.
As an 11 year official, three camps is probably a good number for you to have attended. After a camp you should take 1-3 years to perfect what you have learned before going to another one, otherwise you are overwhelmed with all of these different opinions.
To go out of your state is a 'good' idea as you can see how other parts of the country may interprep rules and also see other methods in the use of mechanics.
You may be at a crossroads in your career where you need to decide what your ultimate goal is and look to attend a camp to get hired. But do not be in too much of a hurry, just keep working hard every game and you be will be rewarded.