View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

I had an odd situation Tuesday night that I thought I would share.

I'm lead in a 2-man game. Ball out top, I'm focusing on the post action. Ball is shot by A1. In the paint, A2, in trying to get position for a rebound, essentially throws B2 to the floor. At the same time, B1 fouls airborne shooter A1. They were so close in time that my partner never knew I blew my whistle. We both sounded our whistles at exactly the same time and for the same duration. Partner and I had a brief discussion to determine the order (and if it mattered). If A2 commited the foul before the release...dead ball. We concluded that the ball was airborne and that both fouls were during the live ball. So we charged both fouls (new definition this year "Simultaneous fouls"). The shooting team had the arrow so they were getting the ball after any FTs. The only question was where to put the ball in play. My foul would put it in play on the endline. The other foul on the sideline. In the heat of the game, I counldn't remember what to do, so I basically made it up...I picked a spot halfway between the fouls and then chose the closest spot which led to and endline throwin. Right after we had the ball in play, I remembered the case: The spot is where the team that has the arrow got fouled. We should have taken the ball on the sideline.