Thread: Multiple Fouls?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
Illinois/Purdue game the other. Did anyone see the game? I turned the game on at one point(don't remember when in the game) and the announcers were trying to sort out a call that was made. They made reference to a double foul, but then they showed the play(I assume it was the play they were talking about) which seemed to be a block/charge call with another Illinois player right next to the Purdue player with the ball. Just wondering if anyone saw this play and knows what call was made.
Both refs whistled a foul, both signalled, and the signals conflicted. I am not the NCAA expert here, but I recall seeing a thread that said that under NCAA men's rules, it must be a double foul Once both refs have signaled, they cannot go with one call over the other. I felt good because the announcers were blasting the refs for the call, not knowing why it was made that way. What they should have been doing was talking about who should have had the signal, because once the signals were made, they couldn't change their calls.

BTW, it was a block on the Illinois player, and I am an Illinois fan. I think it was Valentine who had the charge call from up top, but the baseline ref had the better angle and it was clearly a block from that view on replay. Player set his feet and then leaned over into the path of the ball handler as he jumped through the double team. I think that you could see the defender set his feet from up top, but you could not see clearly what caused the contact. Keady was visibly mad, and Self was ok with the call - another good indication as to who made out on the deal!