View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

First week's games

Some interesting things from first week's games... NFHS sophmore boys.

1) Team A has ball and possession arrow in first quarter. Two big men are leaning on each other and shoving a little. After a verbal warning they don't settle down, so I call a double foul and A gets the ball on POI. We get to beginning of the second quarter and scorekeeper is signaling that team B should get the ball. He had incorrectly assumed that possession after the double foul was AP. From now on if I call a double foul, I am going to check the arrow and make sure the scorekeeper is with me.

2) A1 is on a fast break and B1 establishes LGP in front of him in the lane. Just before A1 creates contact, B1 leans back and steps back rather than taking a strong charge. I call player control foul. At half time, the refs from the next game (two guys I know and respect), tell me I kicked the call because when the defender stepped back he "gave up his verticality", and they would have called block. These guys are good refs and I value their opinion, but given their explanation I think this is one time where I will not take it too seriously. The rules clearly allow the defender to move backwards after establishing LGP. Am I missing something here that the more senior guys are trying to teach me?