Thread: Awful Partner
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
Night 1: partner with white socks, dirty shoes, black work pants with belt loops and no belt. Positioned 3 feet on the court in L position, in the way of the players, etc. Train wrecks throughout his primary. Ouch.
I'd notify my assignor about the unprofessional appearance, but depending on the level worked, your assignor might need the warm body. As far as positioning goes, talk to the partner during timeouts and bring this up. Train wrecks in his primary, go ahead and expand your coverage and get the big ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
Night 2: first pregame question - "what is a 1-on-1, and when do we call it?". (Uh, oh, we're in trouble). Multiple calls (weak whistle) with no indication of the violation or foul. Blows his whistle and looks at me. Coach yelling "what's the call?". I go over - "you have to call something, what did you see?". Other examples: 5 seconds CG in backcourt. 3 seconds nowhere near the paint, etc. Two or three times I had to announce "inadvertent whistle". Crowd enjoying the show...some laughing.
Correct the real big mistakes, talk to your partner on little things to work on during timeouts and halftime, and be supportive especially if your partner seems to want to learn. You'll also have to handle the coaches. I'm not going to let the coach to be continuously whining all game.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.