Thread: Awful Partner
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Awful Partner

How do you guys handle it (at the game) when you end up working with a partner that is beyond awful?

This has never happened before (good association) but just had two consecutive nights with 1st/2nd years that seemed to have no knowledge of mechanics, rules, and court positioning.

Night 1: partner with white socks, dirty shoes, black work pants with belt loops and no belt. Positioned 3 feet on the court in L position, in the way of the players, etc. Train wrecks throughout his primary. Ouch.

Night 2: first pregame question - "what is a 1-on-1, and when do we call it?". (Uh, oh, we're in trouble). Multiple calls (weak whistle) with no indication of the violation or foul. Blows his whistle and looks at me. Coach yelling "what's the call?". I go over - "you have to call something, what did you see?". Other examples: 5 seconds CG in backcourt. 3 seconds nowhere near the paint, etc. Two or three times I had to announce "inadvertent whistle". Crowd enjoying the show...some laughing.

In both cases, the coaches and crowd starting going nuts. I tried to be very decisive and professional just to over compensate. I notified the assigner afterwards in both situations, but how do you best handle this during the actual game? Do you just call everything, everywhere, just to survive? What should/can you say to the coach?