View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 07:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
When I first started school ball (read, non-rec), I was doing one of my first HS games for my new association at a local private school. After the game, my P and I were doing our post-game and the V officials were listening and providing feedback.

All of a sudden the door bursts open and the H (losing) Coach comes in and starts berating us - worst officials ever, yada yada. Totally going off. The seasoned V Officials ushered him out.

As a new official at the time I was devastated. Really hurt. Can I do this? Is this the way it's going to be? Do I have what it takes? Why go through this? etc.

I reported it to my Association - the Coach (new young guy in one of his first games) was disciplined and we got an apology from the school AD.

Thankfully, I had a few senior officials help me through it.

That was several years and several hundred games ago......and I stuck it out. But, it hurt and I'm not ashamed to admit it. It was part of my maturing process and is now just another situation for my personal kit-bag.