View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

WOW,

Thanks for some GREAT comments.

A few things I would like to expand on, not defend, just maybe write a little more clearly.

I wrote:

"a technical foul “never” makes things better."

By puting "Never" in quotes I was hoping to convey a feeling of something between "seldom" and "Never". I missed badly on that free throw.

I should have left the thought at use Technical Fouls judiciously.

One poster said:

"As a young official we are trying to gain respect and there are times that we need to "unleash the beast.""

Sorry no techincal foul will increase your respect. Not calling one may.

I wrote:

"Never be afraid to talk to a coach"

Again poor writing skills -- you also need to know when NOT to talk to a coach. Sometimes things sound better in my mind and off my tongue when teaching and really don't work in writing as well.

I mentioned not calling a foul on the inside guy in rebound position.

I knew this would be a slippery slope. It my teaching philosophy that when a player gets the inside position when rebounding he has done his job. NOW I DID NOT SAY, "let him back everyone out of the hole . . . BUT I DID SAY, "if he reaches back to locate the player behind him to keep his position don't call the foul. I have been taught this at all levels FED and above and will continue to teach it.

It is much like teaching that "what is called, or not, when a defenders hand hits a shooters hand after the ball is clearly away and there is no other contact between the two players?"

In no way did I expect anyone to assume (no matter how badly I wrote the point in the post) that I would allow him to back the defender out to the free throw line.

I am not sure if it worth talking further about towels and water bottles.

I will stand by the following story:

Clif Guftason (sp) who was the Head Baseball Coach for the Texas Longhorns for decades and who won several National Championships has stated that he can "tell which umpire I am going to have trouble with when the walk onto the field . . . it is the way they handle themselves, their deportment!"

That is where I stand with the towel and the water. You'll never see a D1 Basketball Offical taking a water bottle to the scorers table. End of story. That's the LIST! And, as pointed out on this webpage, if you drink the proper amount of water before and half of the game you really don't "need" additional water.

The towel issue is simply meant to continue a professional appearance by the team of officials. I never carried a towel but if you do I simply gave some things to think about. It is just a single point in what I teach about uniform and conformity.

Finally the famous "travel" line.

Please reread that section . . .

What I tried to convey is if you thought (past tense) it was a travel it probably was. Which means you probably missed it this time so be ready for that activity again.

Folks, officials do not call enough travel violations. Professional basketball lets them walk, so now colleges let them walk, and now we at the HS level have followed suit. Let's just work harder at calling closer to the rules as written.

Now that's what I meant to say with these issues. I probably screwed the pooch on some of the writing but I hope this is taken as an further extrapolation of what I wrote and is not taken as defensive.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

JR:

I am working on a advantage/disadvantage thread starter.

Tee