View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Like most, I have to disagree slightly with the T guideline. They can make the game better and, if used effectively, can go a long way to gaining respect from a coach.

Early in the season I had a coach for both games in a Fresh/JV doubleheader (Fresh coach was sick). Before the first game when we introduced ourselves the coach commented that he did not remember seeing me before. My partner said "Oh, he is new to the chapter.". Coach chirped at me the entire game. Not real bad but he ignored my request to tone it down. Early in the second game, I called a foul he didn't like (big surprise). After reporting, table signaled me over to clarify the number. The coach asked for an explanation and I gave him a quick response. He then frowns and says loadly "You better get your sh!t together"...Tweet, WHACK and say "I've got it together coach." (kicked myself hard for that jerk comment ). I have had this coach twice since then and he has been a model citizen. We have even bumped into each other at a school function (my daughter will be attending there next year) and he complimented my work...won't help him next year as I have to block that school for the next four seasons.

Sometimes they can help!