View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 06:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Two items.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

1. Use technical fouls judiciously. Remember, a technical foul “never” makes things better. Use “other” game management skills before resorting to the ultimate call.

5. Please don’t call a foul on the “inside” guy when he blocks out readying to rebound. EVEN if he reaches back and touches the guy behind him please don’t call the foul. The guy is doing what he is taught, let him do his job.

I love the list but have take issue with these two items.

Number 1, I do not believe that T's "never" make things better. They can make things better if used properly. If they are not marginal or do not affect the game or stop further behavior, they can be used very affectively. I talked earlier on this board about a coach complaining about "the spot of a throw-in" and i ended up giving the coach a T. Well the result was the coach actually coached the rest of the game and left us alone. The T was early in the second quarter and had no affect on the outcome and was hardly noticed. In my opinion, one of the best Ts I have ever given considering everything. Even Ed Hightower said, "Call Ts to make the game better." (not and exact quote, but you get the idea)

Number 2, I have to take issue with for this reason and this reason alone, just because he was taught to do something, does not mean it is legal and just. If a player cannot do a jump stop properly, you do not hold the whistle because the coach taught it the wrong way. I agree that you have to consider some other factors, but I do not say do not ever call anything. Lots of players are taught to "back out" their opponents by causing contact and essentually pushing their opponents out of the way. This to me is always a good call and is not legal by the NF or the NCAA Rulebooks. And just because you have position, does not mean you can "back out" someone from their's.

Other than that, great list and good teaching points.

Peace