View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Over the years I have had the opportunity to train new baseball and basketball officials. This has been a wonderful way to understand many things we "old hides" forget that we once learned.

The following items are 10 valuable things that experience (called my first FED varsity game in '68) has taught me that I think are pretty solid thoughts.

I certainly don't expect them to pass this august board without critical comment but I am hopeful that they will be taken as simple teaching items and not LAW:

1. Use technical fouls judiciously. Remember, a technical foul “never” makes things better. Use “other” game management skills before resorting to the ultimate call.

2. Never be afraid to talk to a coach. Even when things get real “testy” don’t ever think it is wrong to get over near the coach (I always took the ball over, asked for a towel to wipe the ball clean of phantom moisture, and then said quietly, “Hey Coach, we aren’t trying to cheat you so get control of the person on your bench that is all over us!”) and share your feelings. IF you are discussing rulings, a court issue, or timing or correctable errors get BOTH coaches as near the center line as possible and talk to BOTH of them.

3. Pick your battles. When you see “minor violations” of technical issues handle them without flair, without controversy. Don’t fret over players that leave the court. ONLY worry if they go hide in the crowd and try to gain an advantage.

4. Talk to players during dead ball situations. Don’t always tell them “quit doing this and that” – take the time to comment on the play. Comment on the pace of play . . . the court atmosphere.

5. Please don’t call a foul on the “inside” guy when he blocks out readying to rebound. EVEN if he reaches back and touches the guy behind him please don’t call the foul. The guy is doing what he is taught, let him do his job.

6. Never take a water bottle to the scoring table UNLESS you are doing multiple games in a “rec league”. If you wear a jacket to the pre-game warm ups make sure that you take the jacket to the dressing room at half-time and leave it there. If you need a towel at the bench (which is FINE) have the home team manager place a folded towel for you and your partner at the table (also recognize that at the first time out a player will take it anyway and bow his nose on it). Each time you use it FOLD IT and place it back to the original location.

7. Take your time making calls. No one is going ANYWHERE until you finish. Hustle DURING play, be quick but don’t hurry when making your call. If you are an “off” official freeze and wait. It is hard but it does wonders for the flow of the game.

8. If you select to be an “advantage/disadvantage” type official, please, understand what that means. Take time to understand not only the big picture of basketball but get a feel early of the game your are working.

9. CALL TRAVELING VIOLATIONS. It is almost impossible for you to have clearly in your mind every time a pivot foot is established, every time a “running stop” ends in the establishment of either foot being a pivot foot, and when a player returns a pivot foot to the ground before eliminating the ball from their possession. Keep this rule in the front of your brain, “If it looks funny and you think it was a travel, it probably was . . . “ Call travel calls aggressively.

10. Hustle . . . ALWAYS HUSTLE. Work hard at getting position (and when you don’t quite get there keeping moving while completing the call so it ‘appears’ that you were right on top of the call). Don’t be afraid to work to the center when trail in two-whistle. Move from side to side when on the baseline . . . work at getting better (and sometimes just different) looks at your primary area. Never walk anywhere . . . get crispness into your stride and run end-to-end when necessary.