View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC
I have been coaching High school volleyball for 10 years. Over the years I have had my share of setters that were good and also some that were not so good. I, as a coach, do not mind if a ref calls my setter for bad sets, whether it be a double contact of a lift. If my setter sets 5 bad sets in a row, i expect the ref to call 5 bad sets.

My opinion is that since its a Varsity match, it should be officiated quite strictly. If it was a Junior Varsity match, i understand that lots of sets will be 'overlooked'.

I have no problem with this.

I do have a problem when some officials give a team certain chances simply because the setter is not as good. What i mean is that, some refs will let a setter with lower setting skills get away with his sets. Lifts and double contacts will not be called.

In my opinion, i see this to very unfair to the team with a good setter. An example i used compared this situation to a baseball pithcer. Not calling sets, even if its on every set, is just like giving a pitcher a bigger strike zone to throw to compared to the other teams pitcher.

Any opinions?