View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
As it was explained to me, the very reason why SP umpires always start in B is because umpires were having troubles moving around the field. The average age of umpires is getting higher, younger guys don't want the job (darn sissies), and accommodations were made to the mechanics to allow for an aging crew.

Again, that's how it was explained to me. Don't shoot the messenger.
Phil may have presented it that way; as may have others.

But that is merely a perspective. The simple fact is that NO ONE, regardless the age, needs to do extra work solely to do extra work, if there is no advantage. There is no necessity for a slow pitch umpire to start in "A" (like fastpitch looking for the illegal pitch) with no runners, since the only next play is a call at first on an infield grounder (you step up and are already in perfect position), a buttonhook on the ball hit to the outfield (and you are already closer to your next position than starting in "A", or going out on a fly ball (and you now can help on more of the field than you could from "A").

To my knowledge, no one has ever presented a substantial advantage or need in start in "A" versus "B" in slowpitch. Even the holdouts on the NUS admitted they only wanted to maintain a consistency between slowpitch and fastpitch, not that there was any other reason. So, why not adapt to the best possible position??