View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 11:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Be True To Your School ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
The NCHSAA took it a step further. As long as every player who is wearing such is wearing the same color, we don't give a tinker's damn what color it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
And that's how it should be.
The local high school in my town uses the school colors blue and white. Over many years the color red has somehow crept into the uniforms, usually on the piping, or numbers. Several years ago we got a new football coach. He decided to get red helmets. After the first game of the season, all the old timers in town, in the bars, and in the coffee shops, complained, and complained, and complained, about the nontraditional red helmets.

I don't work games for my local high school. I'm a retired teacher, and coach, from the school system, and I don't want there to be a perception of a conflict of interest. Plus there are sixty-nine other schools where I can peddle my wares. For sake of argument, let's say that I did work one of their games, and the players all had red headbands. The rule states that headbands and wristbands must be white, black, beige or a single solid school color. Red is not an officially recognized school color.

Now that I'm up here on my soapbox, let's say that players want to wear black wristbands and headbands to honor the recent death of a player, coach, teacher, etc. Or, to raise cancer awareness, they all want to wear pink headbands, the same week that we all use pink whistles.

I love BktBallRef's post. Why did the guys at the NFHS have to put in the word "school"?

Now could someone please help me down from this soapbox? It didn't seem this high on the way up, and the height kind of scares me.

Note to BktBallRef: Is "tinker's damn" actuaully written into the NCHSAA language?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 26, 2010 at 11:24am.