View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
This was my thinking on all three. The game was a blowout (for a playoff game), and these had no real bearing on the result... but I was embarrassed that these guys are working now, and so many good officials (self included) aren't.

I actually forgot one other - RTP on a 60 yard TD. Where do you kickoff from?

Here's what they DID do...
1) They pretended nothing was amiss, echoed the whistle while the ball was being scrambled for, set the ball at the spot of the failed FC. If I'm receiving coach, I'm asking for an "awarded fair catch" so I can attempt a free kick... this landed about the 50 with 3 seconds left in the half.
2) The crew leaned on their whistles, probably barely averting this kid getting clocked about 15 yards away. No penalty.
3) They marched off the 5 yards - no one seemed to notice that it was only 8 seconds (worse, which may illustrate why this was a semi-blowout ... penalized team's coach was oblivious).
The roughing the passer is penalized on the try or succeeding kickoff. A normal kickoff in Texas is the A-40. If they choose that as the enforcement then 15 yards will put the ball on the B-45.

1. An IW during the kick results in repeating the down.

2. There is no such thing as an "awarded fair catch" for a free kick in NCAA rules. That must be a Fed rule. When any player of team B signals for a fair catch it is a team commitment and the ball will be dead when any team B player gains posession. By rule that player is allowed 2 steps in any direction, but I'm not flagging that unless it is HUGE, because I am shutting it down and the clock is already stopped so he's not really delaying the game. I suppose if he insists on running and then he gets hit by Team A then I would probably have a foul on both teams. (delay and late hit)

3. I would not be so quick to start the game after an ambulance leaves the field. I'd probably even give them a few mins. near their sidelines to make sure both teams are ready to resume. Perhaps they may need to stretch and get warmed back up. Once both teams are on the field and ready I will resume the game.