View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
1> Not having an IW would be the first choice. However, with that blown the only thing to be done is rekick it.

2> Dead-ball at the spot of the catch. This is not a fair catch since R34 did not signal. If R34 goes more than 2 steps, the rules call for a 5 yd penalty. I would think the officials should do their best to avoid such a call by a very loud, repeated whistle. However, if the player insists.......

3> The R had no business blowing the whistle as the ambulance "just gets off the field" (you've already had a very long delay, what's a couple more seconds?) and also should've checked the clock (play & game) to make sure everything is ready before resuming play. After only 8 seconds, the crew should've figured out something was amiss without penalizing the offense for an officiating screwup.
This was my thinking on all three. The game was a blowout (for a playoff game), and these had no real bearing on the result... but I was embarrassed that these guys are working now, and so many good officials (self included) aren't.

I actually forgot one other - RTP on a 60 yard TD. Where do you kickoff from?

Here's what they DID do...
1) They pretended nothing was amiss, echoed the whistle while the ball was being scrambled for, set the ball at the spot of the failed FC. If I'm receiving coach, I'm asking for an "awarded fair catch" so I can attempt a free kick... this landed about the 50 with 3 seconds left in the half.
2) The crew leaned on their whistles, probably barely averting this kid getting clocked about 15 yards away. No penalty.
3) They marched off the 5 yards - no one seemed to notice that it was only 8 seconds (worse, which may illustrate why this was a semi-blowout ... penalized team's coach was oblivious).

West Houston Mike