View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballref View Post
So you have quoted lots of things telling us that we need to consult captains and give them respect.

I have yet to see anything where a penalty is automatically declined if a captain is not on the field.
I wasn't "telling you" anything, I merely suggested that there are a number of good reasons for discussing such matters with Captains. More than likely the area you work in has a standard, and you're likely best off adjusting to and following that standard.

I never suggested, nor do I believe there is any situation for automatically declining a penalty because the Captain is not on the field, although there are a number of situations where declining may be the very obvious choice. In those situations I've always spent those extra few seconds telling the Captain what was going on, suggesting the obvious choice and getting his concurrence. That sequence has yet to cause me any problem.

I just think if a Captain has earned an added level of respect, it's smart to give it to him. It's very possible we might need an added level of respect somewhat later from that same Captain.