View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

We have had several over the years in this neck of the woods. I have no problem with them participating in State tournaments, if they follow the same rules as the other schools. Most of them don't. Back when IN had a REAL HS tournament several private schools participated. But these schools did not give 'scholarships" or actively recruit. They followed the rules like everyone else. Here in VA we have 2 state wide private school associations along with the venerable VHSL. There is a broo ha ha b/c private schools aren't allowed to compete in the state tournaments with the VHSL. Also, some districts won't schedule the private schools b/c of their recruiting practices. Gotta love politics!!
The best solution that I have seen is from when one private conference split into "recruiting schools" and "non recruiting schools" So those schools that acively traveled the globe and country for players played in one division and the more "traditional" christian schools played in the other. It was a nice compromise, while it lasted.