View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballref View Post
Would never happen on my crew. That would basically be accepted automatically, not sure why you would really need a captain. We don't really worry about the captain numbers. If I need a player I just ask for a captain, I don't care which player walks up.
I understand and completely agree that it makes a lot of sense and is the common practice to insure that the offended coach is aware of the details surrounding a penalty, and when necessary can guide his Captain in making a penalty decision.

However to answer you questions, directly, why you need a captain is spelled out in NF: 2-32-5c "A Captain of a team is a player designated to represent his team during (c): Penalty decisions following a foul.".
Whether an official accepts it or not is immaterial, a Captain by virtue of that designation is due the respect attributed to that position at EVERY level. Much the same, as a Referee is entitled to the respect that is attributed to his designation.

On a very practical level a Captain who has been afforded the appropriate manner of respect, can prove to be a valuable ally should an ally be needed during a contest. Providing that respect costs NOTHING and can pay huge dividend.