View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 12:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Reading, Riting and Rithmetic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
8th graders walking the halls with kindergarteners?
In the case of our small Catholic parish schools (described in the posts above), this is the case. Often these schools only have one, or two classes, in each grade, from kindergarten through eighth grade, after which they move on to high school, usually one of our Catholic high schools. My local parish school only covers kindergarten through grade five, with only one class in each grade. After graduating, these kids often move on to the public middle school, or to another parish school in our town that has kindergarten through grade eight.

Most of the public schools in Connecticut have a three tier system. Kindergarten through fifth grade in elementary schools. Grades six through grade eight in middle schools, and grades nine through twelve in high schools. Some towns even further break down the elementary schools into upper and lower schools.

The junior high system (grades seven through nine) was done away with about twenty-five years ago here in the Constitution State. The school system that I retired from was one of the last in the state to use such a system. There are only a few systems lift that still use the junior high system, which is why our state high school sports governing body uses grade ten through twelve population to determine the school size for state tournament divisions.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 21, 2010 at 12:11pm.