Thread: double tech?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:38pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
NFHS Subvarsity: A1 is going in for a lay up and B1 fouls him. In the officials judgement the foul is not intentional just a common foul. A1 however slaps back with an elbow which hits B1 on the back. Both player now are possibly going to fight but they are restrained by their team mates.

I called a double tech, and also administered the initial personal foul. and then went to AP.

However in post game I felt that A1 was really the aggresor in initiating the escalation, yet B1 was assessed a harsher penalty of 2 fouls towards his 5.
Would you have called just the personal foul and the tech on the player who retaliated? or the double tech?

thanks
GTW

I guess that this is one of those situations where you had to be there to see it, but I have some problem with the technical foul against B1. First, you have a personal foul commited by B1 against A1 who is in the act of shooting, not a common foul by B1. Second, you have a technical foul by A1 for a dead ball contact foul. If A1 and B1's teammates are now restraining the two players, it is hard to charge B1 with a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct when he really has not done anything since being struck by A1.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio