View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I think a lot of you are very much missing the point.

I went to XXX High School. I will not work games for that high school. Why???

For some, working their high school game, an official won't be able to get rid of that little bitty hope in the back of their head that they are rooting for their school. They may not think it alters their call, but it might.

For others, an official will be aware of that possibility - and might tend to make just that one close call the other way, to assure himself that he's not biased.

For still others, an official will not have an issue, but might tend to make just that on close call the other way, to assure any potential witnesses to the game that he's not biased.

All of those are bad.

For MOST of us, we likely would be able to officiate the game without any bias in either direction whatsoever.

HOWEVER - in any non-blowout, there are a few close calls where whichever way you rule, 50% hate you, 50% love you. It comes with the territory. Half of the time, that close call (however rightly) goes in favor of "your" school. ANY person with a rooting interest on the other side will immediately come to the conclusion that you made the call (however rightly) in that direction because of your bias. Even if that is 100% wrong, the perception is there.

THAT is why I will not do games for my high school.

West Houston Mike