Thread: wingspan
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: any contact?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Troward
>so if there is any contact between the defender's long arms and the smaller player it would be a foul?

In this case I would have to say yes as you do not have a “Legal Guarding Position” here. To me it is in the same ballpark as the defender making a cross with his arms out from the sides of his trunk. If there is contact it is a block in this example.

>The Frankenstein's arms probably did bump the smaller player as he tried to get free, but as they bumped he would move his arms away instantly.
The contact was kind of like a defender "feeling" where the offender is with his hands but he never grabbed him. A defender almost always "feels" for the offensive player when a cutter is on the move, it is not a foul unless he bumps or holds him to gain an advantage, right?

Wrong, think hand check or think riding the dribbler by keeping him from his line.

>In my case The contact itself was very slight and would not warrant a foul unless you consider the cumulative effect of the contact and the way he was using his arms seemed to gain an advantage. Is this advantage fair or unfair I guess is the question?
GTW

Slight or not, has nothing to do with it for me. He is using his arms in a non legal manner to impede the progress of the dribbler. I would call this just as I call B1 for putting his arms back to keep A1 from going around him as they are setup inside or outside of the lane, with contact.