View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

The answer to this one was so easy -- the call was correct according to all major codes -- that I can't let it rest there, so I'll tell you about circumstances in which the ball would've become dead in that play situation.

Starting in 1903 and continuing until...uh...1928, maybe(?), the maker of a scrimmage kick wasn't allowed to advance the ball had he recovered it (absent first touching by an opponent). It was part of a rule change adopted to decrease incidents of roughing the kicker. Under the proper circumstances (being onside) it was even possible for K2 thru K11 to recover & advance, but not kicker K1, even though he was onside.

For a comparable though much later period of time, NFSHSA rules made the ball dead if any player of team K recovered on their side of the neutral zone. Fed was going thru a period where the number of conditions producing a dead ball was peaking, out of safety considerations.

Finally, youth football frequently uses highly modified rules for scrimmage kicks. In the club where I coach, if team A declares a punt in the Pee Wee Div., the kick is dead when it comes into any player's possession, anywhere.