View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Why is it a sensitive issue when one official makes a call outside of his primary area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think this depends on where and who you officiate with and where and who made a call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good point. But sometimes you can look through your area and see part of your partner's area in your field of vision. Plus we are supposed to be aware of where the ball is, and where our partner is, and in doing so, we may see that gorilla, or elephant, when our partner is getting some pixie dust out of his eye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
As well as what you have said, if there are no matchups in your area, you are supposed to expand into your partner's area and referee the matchups away from the ball. Plus each official has secondary areas where he is expected to blow (e.g., if the L goes wide to cover a matchup at the three point line, T extends and picks up the post).
+1

Remember our main objective is to get calls right! Sometimes we have to go outside of our PCA for the good of the GAME. Officials that are in it for the GAME understand this & generally thank their partners for having their backside covered.

Many plays during the GAME should be refereed using a team officiating concept. There are front & back sides to screening plays... I've noticed that officials who attend camps regularly & work at higher levels are more open to this mindset.

I was told to follow the 3 Bs when going outside of my PCA:
1. BE late (give the proper official an opportunity to make the call)
2. BE needed (dont go fishing for a marginal violation/incidental contact)
3. BE right (no explanation needed)