Thread: backcourt
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 06:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Post history lesson

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
I'd just add a couple of things to Mark's post:

1) Note that items 1 and 2 are separate -- you need team control, and the ball has to heve been in the front court, but you don't need "team control in the front court"

2) Item 3 doesn't really mean that Team A needs to touch the ball in the front court. If they were the last to touch it in the backcourt, then it went to the front court and returned to the backcourt untouched, it would still be a violation for A to touch first in the backcourt.
Bob is absolutely right. Here's a bit of trivia to explain why his item #2 came into being. A long time ago, when I first started as a ref (George Mikan era), I asked a veteran official why this was so. He told me that until the rule was changed to reflect this, a team in the backcourt that was nearing a ten second violation, could throw the ball off an official in the front court, have the ball rebound back to them and avoid the 10 second violation. Remember, the 10 second count ends when the ball achieves frontcourt status.

The guy I asked said he got the answer straight from Dr. Naismith

Also - to head off the obvious next question regarding his point, no - this doesn't apply to a player who is standing with one or both feet in the backcourt and dribbles the ball in the front court. There is a specific rule that governs this situation. It is called the "3 points rule" and, for all you newbies, it has nothing to do with a 3 point basket.