View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 08:57pm
Small Business Owner

Cool "The goal post is broken! The goal post is broken!"

Was working a game in Tekoa, Washington (Near Spokane) which is agricultural country.
Midway through the third quarter, the right upright in the east endzone goalpost swings down like a big pendelum. One of the home team players came running up to me shouting, "The goal post is broken, The goal post is broken!"
You see, it was made out of sprinkler pipe with "screw in" type connections and it (obviously) needed tightening!
I stopped the game as it needed to be repaired before we could continue. I wasn't going to allow a player to get harpooned by a cast iron sprinkle pipe/aka Goal Post. After a short delay, The AD reported he couldn't fix it without tools but he could resolve the problem! I said well whatever you can do as the field is not playable as is. With that he spun the left upright around and around like the hand on a clock (about four spins as I recall) until it was out of thread and then we all watched in amazement as it launched, flipped up, and stuck into the gound in the endzone like a javelin. It was removed and we continued the game.

Oh yes, I thought you might be interested!
Of course we had two more touchdowns scored in that endzone. Having no choice, we played the PAT's at the other endzone. The first PAT was a high snap that ended when the defense recovered it. The second PAT, the kid drilled it right down the middle.
We talked on the way home about the fact that we probably could have got away with playing the PAT's in the "broken endzone," however I think we made the right choice by switching ends. If we hadn't YOU KNOW what the results would have been!

My 2 cents

[Edited by KWH on Jan 22nd, 2003 at 01:10 AM]