View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Standing on the corner...

1st Year. It's a beautiful Saturday morning. Can't wait to get on the field, give my 2 youth games some excellent officiating and then home to take in a college game in the pm.

I drive up to the game and park along the street adjacent to the field dressed in officiating shorts, undershirt, and sandals. The plan is to dress at the trunk and head out to the field. OK. I see a fellow official on the field and I'm trying to figure out who I'm working with. I click the trunk release and throw my keys on the floormat and lock the door (just like every other Saturday) because I'm still trying to figure out who my partners are. Well, my extra key that is ALWAYS in my bag that's in the trunk isn't there. As I slam my trunk in frustration, I realize that the car is locked up and I'm locked out!

Fast forward --- Since I don't have a sign reading "Half naked official needs help!", I flag down a parent from the just completed soccer game and borrow his phone. I also tell one of the fans coming to the football game to please let the officials know that I'm here, but uh, uh, otherwise detained. With 10 minutes to game time, I call AAA, beg them to come. The guy is awesome, gets there quickly, opens the car. I dress while I'm running to the field and join my gang for the kickoff. They are all laughing so hard, we had to postpone the kickoff for a few minutes.

The moral to the story. Get a routine and NEVER, EVER, EVER deviate from it.