View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you

Thank you to those of you that have responded thus far.

Umpiring is to me, somewhere between a hobby and a part time job. I started a number of years ago, but didn't really understand how little I knew until about four years ago when I discovered this forum. I like to think I have learned a lot from reading posts and responses for four years. I know I still have a long way to go.

In the area I am in there is no centralized association and no training. The training I have received is by going to clinics and camps hours away from home. The skill level varies widely and the rules knowledge is, in general, horrible.(with some notable exceptions) My current work schedule keeps me out of most high school games, so I have made a "career" out of travel teams and fall ball. The travel teams here start playing evening double headers in April and the weekend tournaments start then also. I can leave work and go to the field and work a double header instead of taking off early and working a single high school game. On the weekends there is enough of an umpire shortage that most of us working the tournament do 8-14 games between Fri, Sat and Sun. The tournaments range from 13U-18U

As I have gotten to know the local travel teams and organizations I have taken over assigning duties for their umpires. The last couple of years I have supplied umpires for a few hundred games each season. The "official" high school games are all contracted through the individual athletic directors as there is no association running things.

My goal if I stay in this area is to develop an association to cover all the games and also actually provide training and evaluation but that is still a long road involving many other people.

I have recently completed training in Lean Six Sigma and will be getting an ASQ certification. This will allow me a lot more flexibility in my job. So I have considered moving to a warmer climate where I can pursue my hobby more often and have people around me that will help me improve more than I ever can by staying here.

I am not basing a major life decision on my hobby, but incorporating something that is a large part of my life already into the decision, while also taking into account all the other important factors.

As far as Tee and Mr. Umpire, I am not sure what I have said or done in the past (I have not gone back and reread my past posts) to suggest that I am a fake. I understand the futility of trying to prove anything on a forum, but I am happy to provide any information that anyone would like to dispel that assumption. JJ is in my neck of the woods and with very little effort could check out my claims.

I have come to respect the knowledge and skills and approach of many of the regular posters on the board and hope to continue to learn from them. It is a little disheartening that I have done something to create the impression that I am not genuine, but, apparently that is the case.

Again thank you for those that have responded and hopefully those that will still respond. I will start looking into options available in the locations mentioned and contacting associations and organizations to find out the situations there.